Tuesday, September 13, 2011

White Tea Turkey Kale Soup

Eric got a cold yesterday. This is an unusual event in our household, as Eric almost never gets sick. Illness is my specialty, not his. Unfortunately, since Eric isn't used to getting sick, he is horribly bad at it. Not only does he refuse to admit that there is anything wrong with him until he's coughing up a lung, but he also doesn't seem to understand simple concepts such as taking care of himself so that he can get better. I know he's truly ill when he starts going through my "pharmacopeia," as he calls it. So last night, when I heard him sneak into the bathroom to use my throat spray, I knew it was serious.

He coughed and tossed and turned for a good part of the night. I would have felt sorry for them, except that I'm a sickly person and I started worrying that he was going to infect me. So when he had a coughing fit at 6 a.m., I got out of bed to make soup. It wasn't really for him. It was a defense against getting his cold. Even so, I get extra good wife bonus points for having fresh homemade soup ready for him when he got out of bed.

I usually only use 2 tea bags, but this was an emergency, so I used 3 and steeped them for about 20 minutes before adding to the soup. I'd have used more kale, but I was afraid Eric wouldn't eat it.



White Tea Turkey Kale Soup

1 16-oz. box of Imagine No-Chicken Broth
1 16-oz. box of Imagine Vegetable Broth
2 turkey thighs (about 1 lb.)
1/4 cup brown rice flakes (or just brown rice)
1/4 cup brown lentils
olive oil
1 large yellow onion, chopped
1 tsp minced garlic
1/2 teaspoon minced ginger
2 cups of mini bella mushrooms, chopped
5-7 small kale leaves (or more, to taste), cut into small pieces
olive oil
3 white peony tea bags

Pour both boxes of broth in a large pot. Add a cup of water and heat to a boil. Add the brown rice flakes, lentils, and 2 turkey thighs. Reduce heat to medium.

Meanwhile, saute the onion in about a tbsp of olive oil on medium-low heat until translucent. Stir in the garlic and ginger and cook for another couple of minutes.

Take a large mug and scoop out a cupful of the broth. Take out the turkey, which should be almost cooked, and set it aside. Add the teabags to the broth and let steep for about 10 minutes. 

Add the onion mixture to broth. Cut up the turkey and add back to broth. Add the kale and the tea mixture (discard the tea bags).

Saute the mushrooms in another tbsp of olive oil and set aside.

Cook on medium-low heat for 10 minutes. When the rice and lentils are soft, the soup is ready. Add the mushrooms and serve. 

No comments:

Post a Comment