Thursday, September 29, 2011

Tzimmes.

Cat in the hospital. Fridge on the fritz.

And it's only the first day of the new year. Happy Rosh Hashanah.

Last night I made a gorgeous chicken sweet potato curry with enough leftovers for both of us to get through the day. I'm not supposed to eat chicken right now, but I wasn't going to waste a whole bird.  I also made tzimmes for myself.

Then the fridge broke. Now I have a whole pot of rotten chicken with sweet potatoes. The dog wouldn't even eat it, not that I would have let him. I took pictures of the curry, but I was so grossed out this morning that I deleted all pictures so there wouldn't be any evidence.

All of have left are my tzimmes.


Eric refuses to eat them, but when I press him for a reason, all I get are evasive answers. I think he's afraid of the prunes. Hilarie warned me that he wouldn't eat them. She told me she never even bothered to make tzimmes because she knew that her husband and sons would turn up their faux-goy noses at something so healthy.

I've had tzimmes for breakfast, tzimmes for lunch. If I have them for dinner, I think I'll turn orange. I was a bit intimidated about using cooked prunes at first, but they add a rich, gooey sweetness to the mixture that just melts in your mouth. They're actually a perfect breakfast food.


End of day note: The fridge will be fixed in 5 days. The cat has nothing wrong with him, as far as the vet can tell. However, I have to make him gain a half a pound in the next two weeks or else he'll have to go through another round of tests. This is my chance to be a real Jewish mother. I can complain every day as prepare tasty treats for my cat, "Nikos, you look so thin!"

Roasted Sweet Potato Carrot Tzimmes
1 large sweet potato
1 lb. carrots
2 tbsp olive oil
1 cup prunes
1 tsp lemon juice
3 tbsp agave nectar
1/2 tsp allspice
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 cup water

Preheat oven to 350°F.
 
Peel and cut sweet potatoes and carrots into small cubes. Toss with olive oil and spread evenly on baking sheet. Roast for 1 hour.

Combine the remaining ingredients in a large pot and simmer for about five minutes. Add more water if necessary. Add roasted vegetables and mix until thoroughly coated with prune-spice mixture. Cook for a few more minutes until excess liquid is cooked off.


No comments:

Post a Comment