Tuesday, March 15, 2011

GF Hamantaschen

My hat it has three corners
Three corners has my hat.
And had it not three corners
It would not be my hat.

Hamentasch, homentash, homentasch, humentash? Whatever. I'm a shiksa.

Eric swears that he learned that hamantaschen are made in the shape of a three-cornered hat. I prefer the other story where they are in the shape of Haman's ears. Makes you wonder what the jelly filling is.

Thank you Amy, for daring me to make these. I've had these on my to-bake list for several years and never had the courage to try it. Luckily I was in a daring mood this weekend. I made two separate batches over three days--one with half almond flour, half coconut flour, and then the one that worked much better as seen below. The first one was much too dry.

These things are dangerous. The best part about them is that if you mess them up, you have an excuse to eat them! Since I "messed up" about half of them, we were both forced to devour much more than we should have. They're great fresh from the oven or a day later.

GF Hamantaschen

1 cup almond flour*
1 cup GF all-purpose flour mix
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp xanthan gum
1/4 cup buttery spread, softened
1 tsp honey
6 tsp almond milk
a little olive oil 

Filling
2 small packages of blueberries
1 tbsp corn starch
1 tbsp brown rice syrup or honey

Mix dry ingredients. Mix wet ingredients. Add wet to dry.
Chill for 1 hour, but not much longer than that. I left mine in the fridge for 24 hours and it got positively flakey.

For the filling, put the blueberries and honey into a small pot and cook on low heat until the blueberries start to pop and the liquid is released. Add the cornstarch and whisk it in until it disappears. Cook for a few more minutes, then take off the heat and let cool. 

After waiting an hour, divide the dough in half and roll into 2 balls. Brush a ball with a little olive oil if it seems too crumbly, then roll it between two sheets of wax paper until less than 1/4 inch thick. I used a beer glass to cut them into circles. Twist the beer glass to release the dough.

Place dough circle on a cookie sheet and add about a teaspoon of the filling. Pinch one side together, then pinch the two other sides together. It may take a little creative pinching to do this, but remember that it can always be smoothed out when you're done.

*I have a feeling that the recipe would be less crumbly without the almond flour and would probably work just fine with just using 2 cups of GF all-purpose flour.

1 comment:

  1. They were wonderful! The filling was just right, not too sweet, not too juicy, and the dough portion reminded me of pie crust. Thank you for sharing.
    (And I learned the same story that Eric did, Esther was my favorite Bible heroine.)

    ReplyDelete