Saturday, December 11, 2010

Brussels sprouts with Bacon and Pecans

I admit that I don't eat enough greens or leafy vegetables. When given the choice between a thick slab of bacon and a bunch of leafy greens, I'll choose the bacon every time. This was my main downfall in the years that I was a completely unsuccessful vegetarian. I shouldn't even say that I was a vegetarian at all, but since I really, really suffered through the years of giving up meat most of the time, I figure I deserve at least a little credit. I'm sure that any self-respecting vegetarian would disagree, which is why I gave up trying and ordered a large double cheeseburger with bacon.

I'm still trying to eat healthy. I actually don't eat that much bacon anymore. I ate fish until it started making my face itch and then I gave that up too. And now when I do want to splurge on a bacon craving, it had better be from a free-range organic pig.

For those who think that bacon is fatty or unhealthy, I say it is actually something that makes people eat healthier food, if served correctly. Eric only eats the cornbread that I make with bacon grease and bacon bits. I've seen it featured in chowders and stews and salads and I figure that as unhealthy as it is, it gets us carnivores to at least nibble on something green. So if that bacon gets me to not wrinkle my nose at a brussels sprout, then I say it's sort of good for me. And that's the story I'm sticking with.

Brussels Sprouts with bacon and pecans

Ingredients:
1/4-1/2 cup pecan halves
1 lb. brussels sprouts (cut in halves)
2-3 tbsp buttery spread
3-4 strips of thick bacon
2-3 tbsp chicken broth

Cook the bacon and break into small pieces. Give the fattiest bits to the dog. Saute the pecan halves in butter for a few minutes, being careful not to brown them. Saute the brussels sprouts with the bacon for a minute or so, then add the chicken broth and cover. Stir occasionally. Sprouts are done when they are no longer crunchy (I just keep eating them until they feel like the right consistency, which varies from person to person). Stir the pecans in and serve.

1 comment:

  1. If you blanch the brussel sprouts in sugar water efirst, they're even better...

    ReplyDelete