Thursday, July 21, 2011

Black Bean Pumpkin Chili

It's hot out. It's so hot that this morning Eric agreed to turn on the air conditioner so that the dog wouldn't die while we were at work. Even the cat who hates everyone and everything condescended to share the air-conditioned space with us downstairs. My tomato leaves are wilting and sad, a mole has eaten all my yellow squash, and it's too hot for me to even care. I'm not going outside for that. I'm sure I'll regret my decision later, but right now I'm comfy and I'm staying in the house. The tomatoes will deal.

The thought of cooking is even less appealing, particularly since there's almost nothing in the fridge. On good days, I consider an mostly-empty fridge to be a culinary challenge to go through my cupboard and use up all the things that have been sitting on the shelf for far too long. But since all I had was tomato sauce, beans and ground beef, there wasn't much room for imagination. Then I saw the can of pumpkin and realized I'd found the solution for boring chili. It came out smoother, thicker, and a little earthier than regular chili, and the pumpkin and tomato mixed together nicely without cancelling one another out. 

Of course, I didn't tell Eric about the pumpkin until after he'd eaten a bowl of it and it was too late for him to refuse it.

Black Bean Pumpkin Chili
1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 can tomato sauce
1 tomato, chopped
1 green pepper, chopped
1 onion, chopped
1 can pumpkin puree
1 lb. ground turkey thigh
1/2 tsp. cumin
1/4 tsp. cinnamon
salt and pepper to taste

Brown the ground turkey in a little olive oil. Set aside.
Saute the onions until golden, then add the other tomato and pepper.
Stir all the ingredients together in a saucepan and simmer for about 30 minutes. If the soup is too thick, add a little water or broth.

I'm sure it would taste good with chili powder or hot peppers, but our stomachs are too tender for that sort of thing.

Ella does not approve of the heat.

2 comments:

  1. Gosh! It sounds like you are lucky Eric didn't regurgitate the food after you informed him of the secret ingredient.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eric's a sucker for chili. He didn't stand a chance. :-)

    ReplyDelete