Sunday, June 24, 2012

Grilled beef negimaki and tamari green beans

Beef negimaki with sprouted brown rice and grilled green beans
Eric got a charcoal grill as an early birthday present last weekend.  He's been wanting one for a long time but for some reason he never could get himself to buy one. If you want to know his opinion on charcoal vs. gas grills, just ask him--but make sure you don't have anything else to do for the next half hour or so.

Last week we started off with the simple stuff--hot dogs, barbeque chicken, grilled asparagus. It all tasted wonderful, especially since I didn't have to cook. 

This weekend we decided to put our grilling skills to the test. I think we passed.


The main difference was that I marinated mine in sake and tamari sauce for about an hour. The butcher told me I should put the beef in the freezer for an hour or two before cutting it, which made it much easier to get thin slices that held together. I also gave up on the foil packets and just cooked them straight on the grill. Nothing fell apart.

As for the green beans, I tossed them with tamari sauce, minced ginger, srichacha sauce, and a dash of oil. Eric used the grill basket and they were ready in no time. Here's a link something similar I found while browsing on the web instead of typing out the recipe: http://www.indiadivine.org/audarya/vegetarian-forum/1304117-veg-grill-soy-grilled-green-beans.html

This means I don't have to cook tomorrow night, as there are plenty of leftovers for lunch and dinner. We also grilled some chicken thighs and eggplant, so we might even make it until Tuesday night. I think I'm going to love this grill.

No comments:

Post a Comment