Sunday, February 26, 2012

Chocolate Cookie Dough Balls


In January, after a nice long winter break, I lost my cooking mojo. During the break, I had my whole year of blogging planned, cooking escapades plotted on a chart, cookbooks dogeared, meal plans prepared for the rest of the month, and a list of restaurants to try out. I even bought a new camera and started updating the pictures on my blog.

Maybe I had too much on my plate.

There were moments where I had enough energy to come up with a decent recipe, but something always happened. On Valentine's Day, I thought I'd try something simple, like making chocolate molds, but I bought the wrong kind of chocolate and got sticky fudge instead. Disasters happened all month. My cakes fell apart or stuck to the bottom of the pan (or fell apart because they were stuck to the pan).

It got so bad that I actually started getting scared when I was cooking, doubting myself, second-guessing when I shouldn't have. Of course, things just got worse. After a while I didn't even want to cook because I knew it would just get messed up.

This weekend I vowed to get my mojo back. Yesterday I made quiche with broccoli and a potato crust, with the support and hand-holding of Julia Child and three cooking websites, just in case I forgot what I was doing. It came out a little dry, but otherwise very good. It didn't fall apart or burn or have some weird ingredient that made it taste like glue, which was a really good sign. Eric had two large slices. We had some for lunch this afternoon and it was still good. I was ready for the next step. I don't really have a recipe for this one since I was too stressed to remember what I was doing, but here's a link to something similar. I used fake cheese.
Yes, it really was that green.
Then I made blueberry muffins from a recipe I found in Yoga Journal (no, I'm not doing yoga, unless using a recipe from Yoga Journal counts) this morning. Once again, I still wasn't confident enough to trust my instincts. I knew it needed more liquid, but I doubted myself. The result was still tasty, but it didn't rise at all. Eric liked them. That's all that matters. The recipe can be found in the magazine or online at Fitness Pearls by Jill.

This afternoon I made cookie dough balls covered in chocolate. I've never dipped balls in chocolate, so it was a learning experience, but nothing terrible happened during the process except a couple of mistakes, which I ate. The cats helped me take photos in the sunlight. Recipe and instructions are at fitsugar.com.

I think I'm back. Let the cooking begin!

P.S. Nikos looks great, too.


1 comment:

  1. Ah . . . nice to be back in the groove! You go!

    ReplyDelete