Monday, October 3, 2011

Pumpkin Coconut Pie with a Sunflower Seed Rice Crust

It's week 3 of the Elimination Diet. I admit that I've cheated a couple of times, but I regretted it almost immediately--either my face started to itch or my stomach felt uncomfortable. It just wasn't worth it.

Summer's already gone. It's the time of year where I want comfort food. Lots of soup, lots of carbs, and as much spicy pumpkin pie as I can get.


My diet really doesn't allow for anything in a traditional pumpkin pie except for spices and pumpkin. No eggs, no milk, no wheat. Each year it seems that I take away one traditional ingredient, have a disaster, and then move on. Two years ago I figured out how to make a delicious nut crust from almonds and butter. Last year I started using coconut milk instead of condensed milk, and this year I've decided to go without the eggs. Just because.

The first pie I made this year was a disaster. Even after it baked for an hour and a half, the filling still dripped out of the shell. It tasted great, though, and the crust added a nutty, crunchy bite. Not one to waste perfectly good ingredients, I added a piece of it to my hot rice cereal and mixed it in until the pie disappeared. Now that was a good breakfast.

The next time I made pumpkin pie almost gave in and used eggs. Luckily, our refrigerator is still broken, so we didn't have any. I'll thank it later for keeping me on my diet.

I'm glad I didn't use the eggs. I got to make a slurry, which not only sounds cool, but also has a few meanings that have nothing to do with cooking. I felt like I was adding very naughty ingredients. I'd recommend that anyone try making a slurry just for the hell of it (a chia slurry is even more fun--it looks like baby worms in a bowl). 

This one isn't as firm as a regular pumpkin pie, but when chilled, it can stand on its own. Eric says it's one of my best yet because it's not too sweet, and he hates sweets.

Pumpkin Coconut Pie with a Sunflower Seed Rice Crust

For the crust:
3/4 cup brown rice flakes
1/4 cup coconut flakes
1 ¼ cup sunflower seeds
2 tbsp coconut oil
1 tsp maple syrup
1 tbsp chia seeds
2-3 tbsp water

For the filling:
2 tsp golden flax seeds
4 tsp hot water
1 cup coconut milk (thick part only)
4 tsp cooked brown rice flakes
1 can pumpkin
½ tsp orange peel
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp garam masala
1 tsp nutmeg
¼ cup maple syrup

For the crust:
Use a food processor to combine all the ingredients. It should resemble a sticky meal. Press the "crust" into a greased pie pan to cover completely. It's hard to mess this up--just make sure that it is even. 

For the filling:
To make the slurry, pour the hot water over the flax seeds and let it sit for a few minutes. It should have a goopy consistency. 

Combine all ingredients in a food processor and blend until completely mixed. Adjust seasoning to taste.

Cook for 1 hour until the top is brown and the filling doesn't jiggle much. Chill completely. Serve cold.

No comments:

Post a Comment