Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Green Tomato Soup


It's the end of the summer and Eric and I have had so many tomatoes that we can't even stand to look at them. We've been sneaking over to the neighbor's house and putting little tomato gifts on their lawn furniture. When they asked, we blamed the cats.

This weekend I decided to pull up my tomato plants and pick all the green tomatoes and be done with it. The gardening season is over, I thought. Let the snow begin. 

Fortunately for my plants, autumn decided to wait a bit and give my tomatoes just a little more sun and another few days for them to grow. I couldn't get myself to pull those healthy, innocent tomato plants from the ground while they still had a chance to enjoy the sunshine a little longer. Gardening is not for the weak. You've got to be strong and do what is necessary, no matter how the plant looks at you. I guess I'll never be a real gardener. I'm planning on doing the dirty work tomorrow. Maybe if I explain to them that frost is coming and I'm really trying to protect them, they might understand. I have a feeling my tomato plants will be stronger than I am in this matter. 

Even so, I still managed to pick a whole pot of tomatoes, two peppers, and an eggplant that was so cute I almost had trouble chopping it up. The green tomatoes have been staring at me for two days, taunting me. What can you do with a green tomato that won't taste like a green tomato?

The answer is soup. The creaminess of the coconut milk and lemongrass complement the tart flavor of green tomatoes and lime juice, making it filling and light at the same time. The best part? It didn't taste like tomatoes. 


Green Tomato Lemongrass Soup
1 can (14 oz.) coconut milk
1 1/2 cups chopped green tomatoes
1/4 cup cashes
1/4 cup brown rice flakes
1 tsp garlic
2 tsp lemongrass
1 tsp cilantro
1/4 tsp kosher sea salt
1 tsp lime juice

Combine all ingredients and cook on medium heat until tomatoes are tender, about 5-7 minutes. Pour into blender and blend until smooth.

No comments:

Post a Comment