Monday, September 19, 2011

Red Wine Brownies

Today I started the Elimination Diet (more information on the diet can be found here). I was going to start at the beginning of the month, but it took me over two weeks to prepare--a couple of days to gather up the courage, then a week to wean myself off coffee, then another week to go through the pain and trauma of coffee withdrawal. I weaned myself slowly, then gave in mid-week when a nice person offered me a cup of coffee. For a moment, while drinking it, I felt like a human being again. It didn't last long.

I thought the first week was horrible, but the second week was worse. I felt groggy and irritable. I couldn't remember what I was doing from moment to moment. I felt as if everything was falling apart all around me.

This pissed me off.

I don't like being addicted to anything. I knew I was addicted to coffee, but since I was addicted, I kept telling myself it wasn't that bad. Everyone's doing it. But what coffee did to me after I gave it up made me realize that it had a much stronger hold on me than I had thought. There's a part of me that never wants to go through that again. There's another part that just wants a cup of coffee.

I'm giving myself a month to be off coffee, but I don't think I ever want to go back to my morning cup. I'd rather reserve it for special occasions, like a nice glass of red wine and some dark chocolate.

Which brings me to my break-up brownies.

Last week, since I knew I was going to give up everything I loved to eat, I decided to make a brownie that was full of forbidden fruits: chocolate, red wine, walnuts, raisins, baked goods. These little morsels got me through my break-up with coffee. I don't think I could have made it without them.

Granted, these babies aren't for the faint-hearted. They are heavy and rich and thick, and not even that sweet, since I wanted to taste all the food I was giving up in each bite. They're brownies with a purpose.


Red Wine Break-up Brownies
1 cup raisins
3/4 cup red wine
1 cup white rice flour
1 cup sweet rice flour
1/2 cup tapioca flour
1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
2 tsps baking powder
1 tsp xanthan gum
1/2 cup agave nectar
1/4 cup molasses
1/2 cup coconut oil
1 cup walnuts, chopped
1 tsp chia seeds

Heat red wine (do not boil) and pour over raisins. Let soak for about 10 minutes.

Combine the dry ingredients.

Mix the nectar, molasses and coconut oil in food processor until well blended. Stir into dry ingredients.

Pour the raisin-wine mixture into a food processor and blend until relatively smooth. Stir into brownie mixture.

Stir in the walnuts and chia seeds. If the mixture is clumpy and dry, add a little water or red wine to achieve a more spreadable consistency. Fold mixture into a 9x13 pan and bake on 350 for 45 minutes, or until inserted toothpick comes out clean.

3 comments:

  1. Oh my gawd. So many loves in one little package! Are these the ones Amy and I had at the Press? Good luck with the no-coffee. I actually never drank it regularly until 2007, and now I'm not sure I could go back.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are similar to the ones I gave you and Amy--just with red wine added. It tastes like cherries, for some reason. Thanks for the support on the no-coffee move!

    ReplyDelete