Sunday, September 25, 2011

Another week of beans and rice

I lasted until Saturday before seriously cheating on my diet. This wouldn't be that surprising since I am a stress-eater and use that excuse to eat just about anything I'm craving. This time was different. I'd actually started to feel good for the first time in several weeks since giving up coffee.

By Wednesday I noticed that my body felt a little lighter. Not because I've lost weight, which I haven't, but because my body felt less weighed-down. My brain is still foggy, but I did have a few moments of clarity throughout the week, which hardly ever happened without coffee before. There is also a huge benefit to being able to get up in the morning and function without needing an addictive substance to jump-start the day. Another odd side-effect is that I've had some really vivid dreams that were so intense I kept going back to sleep just to keep the plot moving in the morning.

The best part? Someone hadn't seen me for two weeks and knew that I'd been suffering from a cold, but when she saw me yesterday she said I looked so healthy and radiant that she couldn't believe I'd just been sick. Me? Healthy and radiant? I haven't heard that in years.

So, queen of self-sabotage that I am, I cheated on my diet.

When I started the diet last week, I'd completely forgotten that Eric's brother was coming into town for a long weekend and that we'd be going out to dinner almost every night. I had a few mishaps here and there over the week where I'd eat a little bit of chocolate, but I consoled myself by the fact that I'd still managed to avoid meat and coffee, which are the biggest offenders.

I got through two restaurant visits without cheating. I munched on salads while I watched Eric and his brother polish off grilled cheese sandwiches, pizzas and tater tots.

But last night was barbecue night. Unfortunately, it was my job not only to buy the steaks but also to marinate them. My willpower just wasn't strong enough to withstand the primal call of barbecued meat.

This morning I woke up exhausted. I've been exhausted all day. I can't say for certain that this was because I consumed a large portion of not-easily-digestible meat, but the evidence does seem to point in that direction, unless it was the excessive humidity that did me in. 

So I'm back today. We went to Corky & Lenny's for lunch today and I got vegan sushi from Whole Foods while the men ate huge hot pastrami reubens on rye bread.

And I still haven't had any coffee, even though we went to Starbucks afterwards.

Here's one of the many rice and bean meals I've had this week.

Toasted Mung Beans and Brown Rice in Coconut Milk

The original recipe can be found here. I just substituted agave nectar for the sugar and short grain brown rice for the sticky rice. And I added peaches on the side.


Eric and Ryan and me with pastrami and sushi.

No comments:

Post a Comment