Saturday, August 27, 2011

Clafoutis and cookies

Someone gave me a ton of lovely, juicy cherry tomatoes yesterday. He said he didn't really like tomatoes and then asked me if I could turn them into something tasty, like beer. To my disgust, I found that there is a thing called tomato beer. It's basically just tomato juice and beer. I'm not making that, not even if he dared me. It sounds like some weird hangover cure. 

I've made the more traditional cherry clafoutis before, but I'm not a huge fan of sugary custards. However, when I saw the picture for this recipe at Plurielles.fr I had to try it. I was running out of ideas for recipes with tomatoes in this summer of plenty.

This clafoutis turned out to be kind of like a crustless quiche, only lighter and creamier. I substituted coconut milk for the cream and almond milk for the regular milk in the recipe. The comments suggested adding basil, which I will do next time. I think it would give the dish a little more punch.

Eric and I had it for brunch today. He went back for thirds. 


Tomato clafoutis

½ large yellow onion
2 tsp butter
20 cherry tomatoes
1 ¼ cups coconut milk
1 cup almond milk
5 eggs
6 tsp corn starch
salt, pepper

Preheat the oven to 350°.

Chop the onion into small pieces. Cook on low heat in butter, stirring frequently until onions are translucent.

Arrange the onions in a layer on the bottom of the baking dish. Add half of the tomatoes.

Beat the corn starch and the eggs with a whisk. Add the coconut milk and almond milk and whisk until smooth and creamy.

Pour the egg mixture over the vegetables. Add salt and pepper to taste.

Arrange the rest of the tomatoes on top.

Bake for 50-60 minutes or until the top is golden brown and an inserted toothpick comes out clean.

Let cool for about 15 minutes and serve.

___________________________________________________
When you're done, have some GF DF Chocolate Chip Cookies. 


These are the best ones I've made yet. Recipe at Rouxbe, which was adapted, of course, from Elana's Pantry). I used Bob's Red Mill almond flour, which is probably a little too coarse. Elana does not recommend using it. It's possible, but just takes a little more patience and a little water. The trick is to make the balls of dough with slightly wet hands, then press down firmly.

No comments:

Post a Comment