Thursday, July 7, 2011

GF DF Crustless Quiche

Quiche with corn, spinach, and red peppers. Yum!
When I went GF, I started making crustless quiches. I've made some nice crusts before, but I'm generally too lazy to bother with making a crust from scratch unless guests are coming. Plus it's healthier this way and I don't have to listen to Eric whine about eating too many carbs.

Then I gave up dairy. My dairy-free quiches all turned out like baked omelets, or worse. I'd pretty much given up on ever making a decent quiche again until I started craving one and searched the web for hours, examining recipes, combing through image searches. And then I found it.

Many thanks to  Gluten Free Mom for the inspiration for this recipe. I didn't even know about nutritional yeast or ume plum vinegar until I found her blog. Now I'm hooked. This is the best quiche I've made in a long time--light and fluffy, just a little moist. The ume plum vinegar and nutritional yeast gave it, to quote Gluten Free Mom, "a salty cheese-like quality." I was skeptical, but she was right. Yum.

The two hungry men at the table had devoured over half of it before I realized that in seconds my only chance to take a picture of it would be gone. Then I brought it back to the table and shared the slice with Eric. I should have made two.

Please go to her blog for the original. Here are my modifications.


GF DF Crustless Spinach Mushroom Quiche

1 5 oz. pkg baby spinach
1 3 oz. pkg mushrooms
1 tbsp butter
1 cup coconut milk
5 medium eggs
2 tsp ume plum vinegar
1 tbsp nutritional yeast
1 tsp dry mustard powder
1 tsp onion powder
2 tsp baking soda
3 tbsp oat flour
a dash of salt and pepper

Preheat oven to 350°F.

Sauté the mushrooms in the butter until soft. Add half the spinach and stir until the spinach wilts.  Put the other half of the spinach in the food processor (you didn't expect me to make something without using it, did you?) until finely chopped.

Stir the rest of the ingredients. It was a little lumpy, as GF Mom warned, but I went ahead and threw it in the food processor since it was already out and looked nice and smooth.

Add the veggies to the mix. Pour in a greased pie pan and cook for 1 hour.

Let it cool for about 15 minutes to let it set. Otherwise it doesn't cut quite as nicely.

1 comment: