Sunday, July 17, 2011

Black Bean Brownie Cupcakes

Every once in a while, I need chocolate. I always want chocolate, but there are times when I can't stop thinking about anything but chocolate. In the pre-GF-DF days, going on a cocoa binge was easy. At work, I could go downstairs to the trusty bad food vending machine and get some m&m's, telling myself that the peanuts in them made them relatively healthy. Last summer I did that every single day until I realized that three months of vending machine m&m's took about $60 out of my wallet. I started bringing snacks to work after that.

This week I had super-mega migraines, so I had to put the chocolate cravings on hold until I got over them. When I recovered, it was high time for a reward.

So I dusted off my black bean brownie recipe and tried it again using mochi flour this time instead of regular rice flour. That combined with the chocolate chips gave it the perfect cakey/gooey brownie ratio. The best part? They tasted even better the next day.

Black Bean Brownie Cupcakes

½ cup glutinous rice flour (mochi flour)
½ cup white rice flour
½ tsp xanthan gum
3 tsp baking powder
1 tsp cinnamon
¼ cup light brown sugar
½ cup brown rice syrup
5 blocks Ghirardelli 100% cacao premium baking bar
¼ cup margarine
1 can black beans
1 tsp vanilla
½ cup coconut milk + a little extra

Preheat oven to 350°F.

Puree the black beans until they form a paste.

Combine the dry ingredients in a large bowl.

In a double boiler, melt the chocolate. Add the brown rice syrup and margarine and stir together until melted. Add this mixture to the black bean paste. Stir in the vanilla and ½ cup coconut milk. I added 3 tsp of coconut milk to that to get the consistency right, as it was a bit too dry.

Spoon into a pre-greased silicone muffin pan, filling each muffin cup about 3/4 full.

Bake for 45 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.

Makes 12 cupcakes.

No comments:

Post a Comment