Sunday, July 24, 2011

Asian Steak with Spinach and Mushrooms

I have a confession to make. We're meat-aholics. I honestly think that if Eric and I could eat whatever we wanted, we would just eat meat and cheese. An occasional vegetable might appear, but only as an afterthought or a break from all the animal products. We do eat vegetables, but they're still still just sides.

I'm trying to make myself think of vegetables as the main part of the meal and the meat as the side. Eric is happy to help by eating most of the meat and leaving me with all the vegetables, but the goal is really to get both of us to eat healthier, not just me.

Really the only way to get us to eat vegetables is to either hide them or make them taste like meat. This is how we get our dogs and cats to eat vegetables. Jor-El (the dog) and Nikos (the cat) go mad over grilled asparagus, broccoli with butter, squash (in a quiche), potatoes, corn, and grilled eggplant. Nikos will swallow an entire piece of grilled asparagus whole if I let him. Then he begs for more.

So if the dogs and cats can do it, so can we.

The onions caramelized in tamari soy sauce made the meal rich and hearty, even before I added the meat. I  cut up my serving of steak into little pieces and mixed it in to fool myself into thinking that I was eating more meat than I actually was. Even Eric ate all the spinach and onions and mushrooms on his plate, just like a good dog.

Asian Steak with Spinach and Mushrooms
original recipe from Epicurious.com

2 tbsp. tamari GF soy sauce
1 tbsp. apple cider vinegar
1 tbsp minced ginger
2 tbsp. Asian dark sesame oil
1 8 oz. Sirloin steak
2 tsp. olive oil
2 tbsp toasted sesame seeds
8 oz. baby spinach leaves
1 med. onion

Mix the first five ingredients together in a small bowl. Set aside.

Rub about a 1/2 tsp. sesame oil on one side of the steak, then pour half of the sesame seeds on top. Press the seeds firmly so they stick. Do the same to the other side. Heat a tsp of olive oil in a nonstick skillet on high, add the steak, then turn the heat down to medium. Cook 4-5 minutes per side for medium-rare. Transfer the steak to a cutting board and let cool.

Add the onions to the same skillet with another teaspoon of olive oil. When the onions are soft and translucent, transfer them to a bowl and set aside. Saute the mushrooms until browned, then put the onions back in the pan along with the reserved sauce. Cook for another minute or two until the onions are a nice caramel color. Turn off the heat. Add the spinach and stir quickly until the leaves wilt just a little, then transfer to two plates.

Slice the meat and place over the veggies. Serve while hot.
_____________________________________________________
And since it rained today and I was able to go outside, I took some pictures of stuff growing in pots on my deck.
Roma tomatoes from seed, fed with coffee and love.

Eggplant flower from seed, fed with banana peels.

No comments:

Post a Comment