Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Coconut Almond Custard Pie

It all started out with the JCC newsletter, which is how I seem to find out about most of the minor Jewish holidays that Eric doesn't tell me about. Apparently, it's Shavuot.

Eric said the best way fulfill the dairy-eating requirements of this holiday would be by eating cheesecake, even though I don't do dairy anymore. I thought about making him a cheesecake that I couldn't eat, but that was just wrong on so many levels that I couldn't do it.

I started out with Hilarie's recipe for her most fabulous cheesecake. Instead of cream cheese and sour cream, I used the thick part of the coconut milk, some coconut yogurt, and a dash of tapioca. What emerged from the oven was not a cheesecake, but was delicious anyway. In fact, part of me wants to just eat a slice for dinner, but since I already had a slice for breakfast, that would be overkill.

Delicious or no, I had no idea what to call it. It definitely bore no resemblance whatsoever to a cheesecake, so calling it that would be misleading, even if I did modify a cheesecake recipe to make it. Luckily, a few friends were willing to participate in today's "Name That Pie" survey, and decided it was more like a thicker custard. They also said it had the consistency of a quiche, but nobody thought that Sweet Quiche sounded appetizing at all. So we'll go with custard.

Coconut Almond Custard Pie
6 eggs
2 14.5 oz. cans coconut milk (thick part only)
1 8 oz. container So Delicious Coconut Milk Yogurt
1 banana
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp almond extract
1/2 cup sugar
1 tsp honey
1/2 tsp tapioca flour

Crust:
1/2 cups almonds
1/4 cup Chex cereal
2 tsp coconut oil
1 tsp honey

Mix ingredients for crust in food processor until it has a grainy texture. Press this into a pie pan.

Clean out the food processor. Mix all the pie ingredients in the food processor and pour into the pie crust.

Bake at 350 for 1 hour and 15 minutes, or until crust is lightly browned and a toothpick inserted comes out clean.

Let cool for 2-4 hours (it was perfectly fine after an hour at room temperature and then an hour in the fridge). For a thicker consistency, serve cold. For a more custardy consistency, serve warm (about 30 seconds in the microwave).

No comments:

Post a Comment