Saturday, April 16, 2011

Mock Gefilte

I think that gefilte fish must be an acquired taste, probably one that is associated with childhood memories of holidays and food and family. Eric gets cravings for them a couple of times a year and eats them straight out of the jar.

Unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on how you look at it) I never had the chance to really acquire the taste for gefilte fish.  I took a few tentative bites of it at each of the two Passover seders I went to in my pre-gluten-free years, trying hard to be culturally open-minded about a cold, clammy ball of ground fish mixed with matzo. Actually, it wasn't that bad--there was just so much other food that I really wanted to eat that the gefilte got lost in between courses. Eric always finished mine for me anyway.

This year I had actually planned to try to make gluten-free gefilte fish with the gluten-free matzo squares that Hillary sent me from Portland. They actually had some at Whole Foods in Cleveland, but I ate both boxes long before Passover, claiming that it was the only thing I could eat during my three-week bout of the flu. I didn't realize that the GF-Jewish population of Northeastern Ohio had already bought every single GF-matzo crumb in the store. So Eric called his mother, who went to the store in Portland and found out that the demand there was so great that they were only allowing one box per person. Of course, when the store manager found out that I was living in the Midwest, he took pity on me and let her have two boxes.

But now I can't eat fish, so that's out. I had to come up with something. I found a recipe for Mock Gefilte Fish from heeb'n'vegan and modified it to my tastes. I will find another use for the matzo, I promise.


Mock Gefilte (vegan)

3/4 cup cashews (soaked overnight)
1 cup almonds (soaked overnight)
1/2 cup fresh parsley
1 tbsp fresh chives
water
3 tsp Bragg's Liquid Aminos
1 tsp onion powder
2 tbsp lemon juice (or to taste)

Directions:
Run the soaked almonds, cashews and herbs in a blender in small batches (I did mine in three) until it forms a mealy paste. Add a little water if necessary. Put all the batches in a bowl and stir in the aminos and lemon juice. Adjust seasoning to taste. Shape into patties and chill. The seasonings will deepen the flavor of the patties the longer it sits.

Serve on a lettuce leaf.

Makes about 10 gefilte patties.

No comments:

Post a Comment