A chicken recipe for Passover.
Chicken with Eggplants and Garbanzos
2 lbs. chicken thighs (bone-in)
1 tbsp turmeric
1 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp pepper
1/2 cup water
2 cans garbanzo beans
2 eggplants, thinly sliced
1 zucchini, chopped
1/4 cup or more Olive Oil
1 can tomato paste
1/4 cup vegetable broth
Preheat oven to 350.
1. Place the chicken skin-side up into a 9x13 casserole dish. Rub the spices into the chicken, preferably under the skin. Add the water and bake for 1 hour.
2. Fry the eggplant:
Sprinkle salt over the eggplant slices and leave them for about 20 minutes until they start to weep. Rinse them off and pat dry. Fry the eggplant slices in olive oil in small batches. Save the nice-looking ones for the chicken and cut up the rest into pieces.
3. Remove the chicken from the oven and pour the sauce into a bowl. Whisk this together with the tomato paste and vegetable broth.
4. Add the garbanzo beans around the chicken, then stir in the eggplant pieces. Lay long slices of eggplant over each piece of chicken.
5. Pour the tomato-broth mixture over everything.
6. Bake uncovered for another hour.
This recipe was adapted from a one at Forward.com.