Monday, January 17, 2011

Carrot Poppy Seed Bread

I'm trying to eat healthy food for breakfast, but last week Eric bought me some gluten-free frozen waffles and I had two of them with butter and syrup for the next three days. He knows I like them, so he buys them, but what he doesn't realize is that I will not be able to resist eating them if they're in my house. I'm amazed they lasted three whole days.

This month I haven't even had time to think, much less eat properly. It has been a month of madness, and it's just barely half over. A rat in the car engine. Smoke all over the house from a chimney problem. An astrologer trying to make me think I'm a Sagittarius just because some upstart planet wants the spotlight.

Speaking of Capricorns, Happy Birthday, Mom! Wishing you the best of health and luck, that your surgery goes smoothly in a few weeks, and that you get that new kidney we've all been waiting for. I'll have a bite of my carrot poppy seed bread just for you.

Carrot Poppy Seed Bread

1 cup shredded carrots
½ cup chopped walnuts
¼ cup poppy seeds
1/3 cup vanilla rice milk
2 eggs
1 mushy brown banana
½ cup brown sugar
pinch of cardamon
1 tsp cinnamon
½ tsp allspice
1 ½ cups Bob’s Red Mill All Purpose Baking Flour
1 tbsp xanthan gum
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder

Blend the wet ingredients plus the ½ cup brown sugar. I used a food processor to make it a little smoother, but if you’re not feeling as lazy as I was, then stirring it together will probably work fine.

Add the dry ingredients and blend them in. The mixture will be thick and sticky.

Spoon the mixture into small pan, smoothing out the top as much as you can. The shape won't change much while baking. The pan I used was about 9"x4", but two small loaf pans work well, plus it looks cuter that way.

Bake at 350 for 55 minutes.

It's also really good with butter. 

No comments:

Post a Comment