Monday, December 20, 2010

Applesauce Oatmeal Cake


Every time we have a latke party, I have to figure out what to do with the unused tubs of sour cream and the large jar(s) of applesauce sitting in the fridge. Last year I found a great recipe for a sour cream apple cake (which, unfortunately, I can't find right now), but dairy is out for a while. I guess if I were a really considerate wife I would whip up something special for him with sour cream, but if I can't taste it, I'm not cooking it. I gave the cat a tiny bit of the sour cream. He liked it.

I found this recipe for Applesauce Cake (or Wheat Free Applesauce Cake from the 50s) and modified it, as usual, to be less of a cake and more of a food I wouldn't feel guilty about snacking on at work. This one didn't have to be modified much, which was a pleasant surprise.

Applesauce Oatmeal Cake

Ingredients:
2 cups ground oats
1/3 cup sugar
1 tsp baking soda
2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 cup buttery spread
1/3 cup egg whites
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup applesauce (unsweetened)
1 cup raisins

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350. Grind oats in food processor. Add sugar, baking soda, and spices. Pulse a few times to blend. Add buttery spread, eggs, and vanilla and blend. Stir in applesauce and raisins. Pour into small greased baking pan.
Bake for 40-50 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean.

You're supposed to cool this completely, then cover the pan and store one day before serving. As if I had the patience to do that. I lasted 20 minutes, but cutting it was a little messy. When I tried it this morning after letting it sit all night, it was easier to cut and, oddly, tasted better too.

No comments:

Post a Comment