Monday, September 6, 2010

The quest for a GF DF low sugar quickbread

I have been trying for several weeks to make a banana bread with no sugar, no eggs, no dairy. The first one still had too much sugar in it and tasted good. The second one was on track, but was so dry that not even heating it in the microwave and adding butter to it made it moist enough to eat. It tasted great right out of the oven though, but after a day, not even the squirrels accepted my donation to their feeder.

So yesterday I looked in the fridge and saw a bunch of carrots and zucchini that I hadn't used yet this week and were in danger of going bad. I couldn't make up my mind whether I wanted zucchini or carrot bread, so I put them both together. A google search revealed that someone else had already had the same gluten-free idea, so I modified it a little and went to work.

Here's my version. The original is here: http://thegoodeatah.blogspot.com/2008/05/zucchini-carrot-bread-and-muffins.html

Zucchini Carrot Bread/Muffins

1/2 cup buttery spread or butter
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 tablespoons agave nectar
2 eggs
1 egg replacer
2 teaspoons vanilla
2 1/2 cups zucchini and carrot (ground up in the food processor)
2 cups Bob's Red Mill gluten free flour mix
1 cup sorghum flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoon xantham gum
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 cup chopped walnuts

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Grease 3 mini loaf tins.

Beat the buttery spread until creamy. Add the sugars and agave and mix until combined. Next, add the eggs and the egg replacer. Add the vanilla. Mix in the zucchini carrot mixture.

In another bowl, add the all of the flour, baking soda, baking powder, xantham gum, salt and cinnamon and whisk until all of the dry ingredients are combined.

With the mixer on low, slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients until you have a thick batter, then fold in the nuts. You may need to add some water to achieve the right consistency. I added a couple of tablespoons.

Pour into loaf pans and bake for about 50 minutes. I had to test it with a toothpick after about 40 minutes, then put it back in for another ten.

Eric likes it too. He hates sweets, and this just had enough to keep the walnuts from being too bitter.

No comments:

Post a Comment